OpenNebula and Ceph...Dashboard / Orchestrator / Changes

Hi there,
my team and I are currently evaluating OpenNebula Community Stable / 6.6 for a variety of deployments.
At the moment, the component we look into the most is the possibility to provision on-premise edge and HCI clusters.

Unfortunately, we are experiencing not few pitfalls and things that could have been avoided, but we hope to continue our testing for some time.
That said, our team came up with some questions regarding certain matters around handling an on-premises HCI Cluster.

A) Ceph and its’ dashboard
One component that eases administration of ceph, especially for our staff still familiarising themselves with our projects, is the dashboard module, and we have made many good experiences in past deployments of ceph without ONE. We would like to also put it into operation in this case. Is there anything that would speak against this? How is the routine administration of ceph done with ONE? I find that Oneprovision is lacking some vital functionality here, and while we can and do use the more traditional methods all the time, it would be nice to have the dashboard with us.

B) Which Ceph Orchestrator module should we use? Should we use one?
We have been looking into the classic cephadm for this, almost everytime Oneprovision runs leading to us having to adopt the cluster - we would like to avoid that, if possible. Also, we would like to operate several pools of special storage tiers with custom hardware, tags and CRUSH rules. The “one” pool Oneprovision creates does not seem to suffice to our needs. Also, considering the dashboard topic, it would be useless (as in only to monitor, and this can be done other ways) without an orchestrator. Is there a recommendation on this?

C) How would a team of administrators handle changes with Oneprovision?
E. g. assuming we would like to expand 3 HCI nodes to 5 HCI nodes, how would that be done? How are regular on-premises maintenance and scaling operations done using oneprovision (either Web-GUI or CLI-way)? Or is there another way? What should we do and what should we not? Maybe we overlooked it, but I find the documentation a bit lacking on this.

If anyone could contribute to these questions it would put some clarity into our minds. Thank you for your answers.

Hi

A) For Ceph dashboard we recommend using the native Ceph one. We are working on automating the installation and integration of the Ceph dashboard into OpenNebula so it can be easily access in a convenient way. The integration will also include adding the ceph exporter to OpenNebulas Prometheus module.

B) In your case I’d recommend the new OpenNebula Ansible Playbooks (one-deploy) project. This project includes Ceph support (with the ability of tunning CRUSH maps for example)

This is in tech-preview state, but stable as we are close to the 1.0 release. The automation of Ceph Dashboard installation is part of this project.

C) Second-day operations is currently out of the scope of one-deploy. If you need to add an OSD in Ceph or another OpenNebula host, you need to follow the specific procedure for that.

Cheers

EDIT: Added link to development issue for reference

Thank you for your clarifications and the additional information. I will take some time to look at the new Ansible Playbooks and report back later.