PCI passthrough of host network interface into a guest VM

Hi All,

I am trying to directly attach a host NIC to a guest VM.

I did enable IOMMU at the host, and adjusted the filters at /var/lib/one/remotes/etc/im/kvm-probes.d/pci.conf so as to be able to view the detected PCI devices at the host PCI tab.

When I try to attach a NIC using a PCI NIC device I get the error ATTACHNIC: Missing VN_MAD, BRIDGE, TARGET or MAC in VM NIC at the VM logs. This seems that I need to provide more information when defining the network but I am not sure what I am missing, since I just need to passthrough the device to the VM without defining any VLAN IDs or bridges. How can one attach such a physical device through the Sunstone UI? Is this only possible through raw xml injection into the VM template?

I am attempting this from the Sunstone UI at 6.8.0 OpenNebula version with a single KVM host.

Thanks,
Alex

Versions of the related components and OS (frontend, hypervisors, VMs):
Host OS: 22.04.4 LTS (where Opennebula runs also)
Opennebula: 6.8.0
VM: Windows 11 64 bit

Steps to reproduce:
Enable PCI detection at the host and try to attach one NIC directly to the guest VM as using a passthrough NIC device.

Current results:
The NIC is not attached at the VM giving the error ATTACHNIC: Missing VN_MAD, BRIDGE, TARGET or MAC in VM NIC
Expected results:

Seems that one needs only to manually select the passthrough device using the short name of the specific interface, in case of multi-port NICs, and do this only while the VM is shutdown. I encountered a different bug though which seems to have been fixed at 6.8.2. VM deployment fails with an error "XML error: Invalid PCI address 0000:01:01.0. slot must be <= 0" if MACHINE=q35 · Issue #6492 · OpenNebula/one · GitHub