Possible bug using local datastores for system images

Hi all, I’m trying to setup a cluster with 2 nodes: 32GB, 2TB dedicated HDD. Node 1 its running also the frontend. The purpose of the cluster its to deploy a Hadoop cluster for a degree final project.

My intention its to use the 2TB disk on each of the nodes to run the VM’s. The only way I’ve found it in the documentation to use this local store, its setting up a FileSystem/SSH datastore.

Cluster Configuration:

oneadmin@kcldsrv1:~$ onecluster show 100
CLUSTER 100 INFORMATION                                                         
ID                : 100                 
NAME              : KataClust           

CLUSTER TEMPLATE                                                                
DATASTORE_LOCATION="/onestore/"

HOSTS          

DATASTORES     

oneadmin@kcldsrv1:/var/log/one$ onedatastore list
  ID NAME                SIZE AVAIL CLUSTER      IMAGES TYPE DS      TM      STAT
   0 system            196.7G 94%   -                 0 sys  -       shared  off
   1 default           196.7G 94%   KataClust         2 img  fs      shared  on  
   2 files             196.7G 94%   KataClust         0 fil  fs      ssh     on  
 100 local_system           - -     KataClust         0 sys  -       ssh     on  
 101 local_image       393.6G 95%   KataClust         1 img  fs      ssh     on  

oneadmin@kcldsrv1:/var/log/one$ onedatastore show 100 
DATASTORE 100 INFORMATION                                                       
ID             : 100                 
NAME           : local_system        
USER           : oneadmin            
GROUP          : oneadmin            
CLUSTER        : KataClust           
TYPE           : SYSTEM              
DS_MAD         : -                   
TM_MAD         : ssh                 
BASE PATH      : /onestore/100       
DISK_TYPE      : FILE                
STATE          : READY               

DATASTORE CAPACITY                                                              
TOTAL:         : -                   
FREE:          : -                   
USED:          : -                   
LIMIT:         : -                   

PERMISSIONS                                                                     
OWNER          : um-                 
GROUP          : u--                 
OTHER          : ---                 

DATASTORE TEMPLATE                                                              
BASE_PATH="/onestore/"
BRIDGE_LIST="kcldsrv1.cutresoft.bog kcldsrv2.cutresoft.bog"
SHARED="NO"
TM_MAD="ssh"
TYPE="SYSTEM_DS"

IMAGES         

datastore 1 its for images, (shared) Basepath: /var/lib/one/datastores
datastore 101 its to mount big data file systems for Hadoop HDFS (ssh). Basepath: /onestore
datastore 100 its for running vm’s located in the hosts dir /onestore (ssh) Basepath: /onestore

Ok, I have imported a marketplace template with the resulting OS images on DS 1. With that configuration, the vm’s can not be copied from DS_IMAGE 1 (default) to DS_SYSTEM 100, as you can see on the following abstract from the log file:

It starts trying to copy from the right src to the right destination through the right tm shared as it is the DS 1, I mean, a shared DS.

Wed Dec 30 18:22:35 2015 [Z0][TM][I]: Command execution fail: /var/lib/one/remotes/tm/shared/clone kcldsrv1.cutresoft.bog:/var/lib/one//datastores/1/2fcffd24b5cc9fc7d3dda2d360d1d28c kcldsrv1.cutresoft.bog:/onestore/100/7/disk.0 7 1

Later, the script interchange src and dst trying to copy a non existent file:

Wed Dec 30 18:22:35 2015 [Z0][TM][I]: clone: Cloning /onestore/1/2fcffd24b5cc9fc7d3dda2d360d1d28c in kcldsrv1.cutresoft.bog:/onestore/100/7/disk.0
Wed Dec 30 18:22:35 2015 [Z0][TM][E]: clone: Command "cd /onestore/100/7;         cp /onestore/1/2fcffd24b5cc9fc7d3dda2d360d1d28c /onestore/100/7/disk.0         " failed: Warning: Permanently added 'kcldsrv1.cutresoft.bog,192.168.1.135' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Wed Dec 30 18:22:35 2015 [Z0][TM][I]: cp: cannot stat '/onestore/1/2fcffd24b5cc9fc7d3dda2d360d1d28c': No such file or directory

I have modified /var/lib/one/remotes/tm/shared/clone to fix the wrong src file.

SRC_PATH="${DST_DS_PATH}${SRC_ARG_PATH##$SRC_DS_PATH}"

To:
SRC_PATH=$SRC_ARG_PATH

IMO the shared driver its not taking into account the type of the destination DS. With that fix, my VM’s are being created properly.

I’m pretty new to OpenNebula so I suppose I must be wrong but the thing is, that the fix solves the problem. Could this be a bug in the tm shared code?

Regards.

Hi Jesus,

There are three different parameters used to tune path generation for images:
(from oned.conf)

• DATASTORE_LOCATION: Default Path for Datastores in the hosts. It IS the same for all the hosts in the cluster. DATASTORE_LOCATION IS ONLY FOR THE HOSTS AND NOT THE FRONT-END. It defaults to /var/lib/one/datastores (or $ONE_LOCATION/var/datastores in self-contained mode)
    You can define a different DATASTORE_LOCATION in each cluster by updating its properties with onecluster update.

• DATASTORE_BASE_PATH: This is the base path for the SOURCE attribute of the images registered in a Datastore. This is a default value, that can be changed when the datastore is created.

So BASE_PATH is for the origin of the images, i.e. where the images are stored. DATASTORE_LOCATION is where the images are copied to. So if you want the datastores (and the images) to be copied to /onestore in the hypervisors you need to update DATASTORE_LOCATION and not BASE_PATH.

Hope it helps

Hi Ruben, good night.
I have defined DATASTORE_LOCATION in the cluster to /onestore.

Reading your explanation, BASE_PATH it only affects to FrontEnd. It’s the path where FrontEnd expect the images to b. The flow its like that:

1. Original image its created on BASE_PATH/<ds_IMAGE_id> on the FrontEnd
  2. Image its copied to DATASTORE_LOCATION/<ds_SYSTEM_id>/<vm_id> on Host, on boot.
  3. Image its moved back to BASE_PATH/<ds_SYSTEM_id>/<vm_id> on FrontEnd on vm stop

Its that right?

Even changing cluster DATASTORE_LOCATION to a different path of DS BASE_PATH the copy its not working without the suggested fix

Regards.

note that you need to re-register the images so the SOURCE attribute is
generated with the right BASE_PATH.