Windows Packer build images

Hi,

I’m working on a bachelor thesis, and part of it is about building Windows images for OpenNebula using HashiCorp Packer. I have forked the repository, and I have created some local changes. Before I commit them, I want to ask OpenNebula developers a few questions:

1. What should be the policy regarding Windows ISO installer images? They can’t be part of the project, and Microsoft does not provide an easy and official way to download them. They need to be referenced in packer build files for builds to work. Should I use a subfolder named ISO, where the user of this build system provides the ISO images? Another approach is that there is also a hacky, unofficial, probably maintenance-costly way of automating the downloads by generating temporary download links from Microsoft. For example, GitHub - ElliotKillick/Mido: The Secure Microsoft Windows Downloader, which is based on this: GitHub - pbatard/Fido: A PowerShell script to download Windows or UEFI Shell ISOs.

2. What should be the policy for naming the build (Makefile) options? I think this could work, but maybe you know better:

Edition names
  • windows10Home
  • windows10HomeN
  • windows10Pro
  • windows10ProN
  • windows10ProEdu
  • windows10ProEduN
  • windows10Edu
  • windows10EduN
  • windows10ProWorkstations
  • windows10ProWorkstationsN
  • windows10Ent
  • windows10EntLTSC2015
  • windows10EntLTSC2016
  • windows10EntLTSC2019
  • windows10EntLTSC2021
  • windows11Home
  • windows11HomeN
  • windows11Pro
  • windows11ProN
  • windows11ProEdu
  • windows11ProEduN
  • windows11Edu
  • windows11EduN
  • windows1ProWorkstations
  • windows11ProWorkstationsN
  • windows11Ent
  • windows2016Essentials
  • windows2016Standard
  • windows2016Datacenter
  • windows2016StandardCore
  • windows2016DatacenterCore
  • windows2019Essentials
  • windows2019Standard
  • windows2019Datacenter
  • windows2019StandardCore
  • windows2019DatacenterCore
  • windows2022Standard
  • windows2022Datacenter
  • windows2022StandardCore
  • windows2022DatacenterCore
  1. Should we mention somewhere that users should read Microsoft EULA before using this build tool because the build process skips the licence term and conditions page of the Windows installer and OOBE (Out-of-the-box experience)?

In the end, I want to mention that my build approach leverages only Windows Unattend.xml and Autounattend.xml files. I have set packer communicator to none.

Build process workflow:

• Import VirtIO storage drivers
  • Partition the drive
  • Bypass Windows 11 requirements checks
  • Install Windows (apply Windows image to newly partitioned drive and make it bootable)
  • Install rest of the VirtIO drivers, guest agent and spice agent (in Specialize configuration pass)
  • Boot Windows into audit mode (not OOBE) and install Windows Updates via PowerShell module PSWindowsUpdate or by some other way (I’m currently evaulating ansible windows update module)
  • Put Unattend file in C:\ so the OOBE will be skipped and Unattend files will be cleaned up on next boot
  • Sysprep (generalize) the Windows and shutdown

When the user starts the new Windows image for the first time, the OOBE will be skipped, and the local Administrator will be disabled. This leaves the way for the Windows contextualization package to create the first user using context variables. This also needs to be discussed because Windows server editions have a default Administrator user, and there is also a possibility that the user of the images chooses the Administrator as their user. This needs to be reflected in the Contextualization package, which I plan to contribute as part of my thesis.

1 Like

We also had an issue with this bit for building our testing images. Having the ISO available locally on the builder machine, or in a private web server, and referencing it on the packer script is probably less of a headache.

Your naming looks perfect

In the one-apps wiki mentioning the windows specifics like the ISO download and the reason why the image is not available on the marketplace.

1 Like

I have now realized that the build process also depends on open-source VirtIO Drivers. They can be obtained from the following sources:

Fedora project

These packages are built by RedHat directly from public sources and are referenced by the virtio-win virtio-win-pkg-scripts repository. The download speeds are slow, but they provide a permalink to the latest stable or latest release version. Fedora documentation also mentions that they can’t ship this with their distribution, but the reasons do not have to do anything with licencing. So, this choice depends on the policies of the OpenNebula project. These builds can be easily downloaded using curl or wget.

OpenNebula Marketplace

These images are probably the same ones as the ones in the Fedora project. The major advantage is that OpenNebula controls this marketplace, and the download speeds are fast. As far as I know, the disadvantage is that there is no easy way to get links for specific versions of the latest stable or latest release builds. Only the latest stable build is accessible. Also, the download happens through a CDN. But this should not be an issue as wget can handle that.

Another issue I found with this approach is that the download can happen either in a separate builder, the same way as the cloud-init ISOs are built for existing distributions. The problem is that this is done asynchronously, and the long download time over slow internet links can cause the build to fail if the VirtIO drivers aren’t ready in time for Qemu to use them in the attached CD-ROM. The second approach is that there could be a shell-local provisioner in the qemu builder. But from my testing, it behaves very similarly, and the commands are executed with the qemu builder asynchronously, and we have the same race condition.

A possible solution could be the modification of build.sh file to download the VirtIO ISO before the build process starts. The modification of packer build command arguments is also possible. Such as -parallel-builds=1

Hi,

I hope you also found this:

which handles the upload of the packer image to opennebula in a standard packer manner like for other targets.
(I suppose the two works are complementary and the largest gain is such a combination)

I think this project refers to the same plugin: