Backup And Restore VM Opennebula 6.6

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering an issue when trying to restore a VM after a backup. I successfully created a backup action for a VM and saved it to a datastore of type “Backup.” However, when I use the “restore” feature in Sunstone, it creates a new image and a corresponding template but does not create the VM. I then attempt to create a VM from that template, VM is running but when I use VNC, the VM reports an error: “No bootable devices.” I have kept all the default settings and haven’t made any additional configuration changes. After that, I used rsync to transfer the backup image to the frontend, created an image from it, and manually created a template, which worked fine.

What should I do to make the OpenNebula restore feature work as intended?
Note: The backup has a size of 11.3GB (show in Sunstone). When using the ‘rbd info’ command, the manually created image has a size of 12GB, while the image created by Sunstone’s restore is 11GB.
Thank you.

**Versions of the related components and OS (frontend, hypervisors, VMs): Frontend: Ubuntu 22.04 - Opennebula CE 6.6 , KVM node, VM run CentOS. Use Ceph rbd for VM image.

Steps to reproduce: Restore a VM from it’s backup image through the Sunstone interface.

Current results: I had to manually create an image and template to restore the VM from its backup

Expected results: I can restore VM through the Sunstone and it run OK.

Hi, please try to use the backup feature in 6.8. Backups were introduced in 6.6 and have seen a lot of improvements and fixes.

Thank you for your feedback. I have tested it in a small environment, and the backup and restore worked well with version 6.8.
However, could you please provide me with some advice on how to upgrade the HA cluster from version 6.6 to 6.8 (aside from the documentation)?
Thank you very much to your team.

Well the documentation is the best advice I could give. See the note here though for CE upgrades.

1 Like