Kubernetes & vSphere

Hello

Is there any possibility to run Kubernetes via your appliance using vcenter ? We have downloaded the KVM appliance and converted it to .vmdk but when booting it is looking for a DHCP server.

Would it be possible to convert it to vmdk this way and will it work ?

Importing the appliance into a vCenter datastore should make the conversion automatically.

What you need to ensure is that the VM has a) the VMware tools and b) the OpenNebula context packages

Hi @tinova

Thank you for your advice however importing the qcow appliance into our vcenter datastore via Sunstone does not convert it as when booting the applaince is looking for a DHCP server and the VM cannot boot as we get a boot failure. See logs below.

Tue Nov 3 15:36:36 2020 [Z0][VM][I]: New LCM state is PROLOG
Tue Nov 3 15:36:56 2020 [Z0][VM][I]: New LCM state is BOOT
Tue Nov 3 15:36:56 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Generating deployment file: /var/lib/one/vms/29/deployment.0
Tue Nov 3 15:36:56 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Successfully execute transfer manager driver operation: tm_context.
Tue Nov 3 15:36:56 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Successfully execute network driver operation: pre.
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Command execution failed (exit code: 255): /var/lib/one/remotes/vmm/vcenter/deploy ‘/var/lib/one/vms/29/deployment.0’ ‘EU_Cluster’ 29 EU_Cluster
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][E]: deploy: Deploy of VM 29 on vCenter cluster EU_Cluster with /var/lib/one/vms/29/deployment.0 failed due to "ManagedObjectNotFound: The object ‘vim.VirtualMachine:’ has already been deleted or has not been completely created"on attempt #0.
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][E]: deploy: Deploy of VM 29 on vCenter cluster EU_Cluster with /var/lib/one/vms/29/deployment.0 failed due to "ManagedObjectNotFound: The object ‘vim.VirtualMachine:’ has already been deleted or has not been completely created"on attempt #1.
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][E]: deploy: Deploy of VM 29 on vCenter cluster EU_Cluster with /var/lib/one/vms/29/deployment.0 failed due to "ManagedObjectNotFound: The object ‘vim.VirtualMachine:’ has already been deleted or has not been completely created"on attempt #2.
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Verify inside vCenter cluster EU_Cluster that template Service Kubernetes currently exists and has not been deleted
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Successfully execute network driver operation: clean.
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][I]: Failed to execute virtualization driver operation: deploy.
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VMM][E]: Error deploying virtual machine
Tue Nov 3 15:37:00 2020 [Z0][VM][I]: New LCM state is BOOT_FAILURE

can you check in the vCenter console at the time of deployment (Tue Nov 3 15:36:56 in the pasted log, but probably better to launch a new VM) to look for additional error messages?

however importing the qcow appliance into our vcenter datastore via Sunstone does not convert it as when booting the applaince is looking for a DHCP server

not sure if I follow, if the appliance boots it surely has been converted since VMware does not work with qcow2 images

Hi @tinova

When adding the KVM Kubernetes template using Sunstone the appliance does not boot.
As you state vcenter automatically converts the KVM appliance to vmdk however the VM never boots. We instansiated the VM and when a VM is created the disk is copied as we can see in vcenter but the VM is never created.

If you could provide a quick setup guide this would make like easier as I cannot see anywhere about using your kubernetes appliance in vcenter. I have attached a screenshot of the log in sunstone when the VM reached BOOT failure status.

Hi Ben,

Did you follow these steps?

Best,

-T