Getting kernel panic while booting from ISO in Opennebula 6.6?

Opennebula version - 6.6, hosted in RHEL 9.1 and using libvirt.

I am able to spin up VM’s using the images available in OpenNebula Apps Store. Everything works fine.

But When I tried to create custom image using ISO (RHEL9.1) file, while booting the OS I am getting kernel Panic error.

Here are the steps I have performed.

1. Images → Create → Type (Readonly CD Rom) → Uploaded RHEL ISO
  2. similar created another empty disk as Generic Datablock storage & Bus selected Virtio.
  3. Created template using these two images, and Selected CD ROM as first boot.
  4. While booting up, I am getting linux installationation screen ( install Redhat linux, Test this media options)
  5. Tried with Install & Test this media both, but both are getting kernel panic error.

Seeking community help here to solve this issue.

The kernel panic error you are encountering may have several possible causes. Here are some things you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check if the ISO image is corrupted: Verify that the ISO file you uploaded is not corrupted. You can do this by checking the SHA256 checksum of the file and comparing it with the original checksum provided by the vendor. Alternatively, you can try downloading the ISO file again from the vendor’s website and uploading it to OpenNebula.
  2. Check the virtual hardware configuration: Ensure that the virtual hardware configuration you have specified in the template matches the requirements of the RHEL 9.1 installation. For example, make sure that the disk interface is set to Virtio, and that the amount of RAM and CPU cores are sufficient for the installation.
  3. Check the kernel parameters: When booting the RHEL 9.1 ISO, you can specify additional kernel parameters to help with the installation. Try adding the following parameters to the kernel command line:console=ttyS0,115200n8 - This will redirect console output to the virtual serial port.inst.text - This will start the installation in text mode, which may be more reliable than the graphical mode.inst.debug - This will enable debug output during the installation, which may provide more information about the error.
  4. Check the log files: OpenNebula logs can be found in /var/log/one/. Check the oned.log and sched.log files for any errors or warnings related to the VM creation and deployment. Additionally, you can check the dmesg and syslog files inside the VM to see if any errors were logged during the boot process.
  5. Try a different kernel version: If none of the above solutions work, you can try using a different kernel version during the installation. You can do this by adding the following parameter to the kernel command line: inst.ks=cdrom:/path/to/ks.cfg. This will load a kickstart file that specifies the kernel version to use during the installation.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the kernel panic issue and successfully install RHEL 9.1 on OpenNebula.