OpenNebula 4.14.2 feedback

Hello all,

I just wanted to write some feedback about OpenNebula 4.14.2 release to share with you :slight_smile:

First of all, I would like to say that we have upgraded successfully our test environment to the 4.14.2 release from the 4.12.1 and we also have run the first 3D modelling test by using Blender in an Ubuntu Desktop VM with GPUs configured on it since now it is possible to configure/pass GPU on the VM template.

We still need to test old and new OpenNebula features but I wanted to share some comments about the upgrade:

• If the OpenNebula head node, the Sunstone server and the AppMarket server are not installed on the same machine, it is necessary to install the opennebula-server package on the Sunstone Server in order to be able to start the Sunstone services.

• It is necessary to pay attention to the Sunstone views since the yaml configuration files of the views have changed (/etc/one/sunstone-views/*.yaml). Basically, now there is not the true/false at the enable_tabs section and it is configured on the following way, for example:

enabled_tabs:

• dashboard-tab # Enable
      #- system-tab # Disable

To upgrade the AppMarket is necessary to edit the /usr/lib/one/sunstone/public/app/main.js file on the Sunstone server and then compile it. For compiling it, these are the main steps to follow:

yum install npm
npm install grunt
npm install -g grunt-cli
npm install grunt-contrib-requirejs
cd /usr/lib/one/sunstone/public/app/;grunt requirejs
npm install grunt-contrib-requirejs 
grunt requirejs

In order to do not have problems with the nokogiri gem, I recomend to install the following packages, see the following link for more information, http://www.nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html :

yum  --enablerepo=Epel7-86_64 install gcc ruby-devel zlib-devel

If I am not missing anything right now, I think those are the main things to have in account for upgrading to the 4.14.2 release so I hope it helps to the community and also please, feel free open to comment or to add also your experience/recommendations with the upgrade :slight_smile:

Regards,
Esteban

I haven’t had much luck as you, but of course my installation is not an upgrade, but a full install from scratch. I have this current ticket open where the ec2_hybrid portion of the gems does not install due to an error:

gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc aws-sdk --version "= 1.33"
ERROR: Error installing aws-sdk:
mini_portile2 requires Ruby version >= 1.9.2.
Error executing gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc aws-sdk --version "= 1.33"
[root@opennebula install_gems]#

Besides this issue the only other one that I have installing from source is that when I log into the console I do not see the version updated at the bottom of the UI to 4.14.2, it is still 4.14.1.

Imgur

Are you using the same repo?

If I install the RPM version from the following repo, it is the right version:

baseurl=http://downloads.opennebula.org/repo/4.14/CentOS/6/x86_64/

Hi @jamdev12

Yes, but we are using Centos7 and therefore this repo:

http://downloads.opennebula.org/repo/4.14/CentOS/7/x86_64

I tried it yesterday from scratch and also in a CentOS 7 machine and I did not find the issue with the aws-sdk gem.

On the other hand, I just checked it and I see the right version release at the bottom of the dashboard view at the Sunstone UI.

Cheers,
Esteban

I think you may have installed master, what is a really bad idea. Please install tag release-4.14.2, or at the very least use branch one-4.14.

Hi Carlos,

Good to know. I guess the master is more like your beta branch, where the subbranches, some of them like one-414, are the stable versions. I’ll be building from this from now on and not raise tickets on master. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Jesus

Hi all!

I followed the steps mentioned by @esfreire but I haven’t had the same luck as him, after compile main.js, my opennebula-sunstone does not start, the output of systemctl status opennebula-sunstone shows this:

[root@opennebula01 app]# systemctl status opennebula-sunstone
â—Ź opennebula-sunstone.service - OpenNebula Web UI Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/opennebula-sunstone.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since mié 2016-03-16 14:00:46 CET; 3h 50min ago
  Process: 26934 ExecStart=/usr/bin/ruby /usr/lib/one/sunstone/sunstone-server.rb (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 26934 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/share/ruby/psych.rb:299:in `open'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/share/ruby/psych.rb:299:in `load_file'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/lib/one/sunstone/models/SunstoneViews.rb:45:in `block in initialize'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/lib/one/sunstone/models/SunstoneViews.rb:42:in `each'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/lib/one/sunstone/models/SunstoneViews.rb:42:in `initialize'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/lib/one/sunstone/sunstone-server.rb:140:in `new'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 ruby[26934]: from /usr/lib/one/sunstone/sunstone-server.rb:140:in `<main>'
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 systemd[1]: opennebula-sunstone.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 systemd[1]: Unit opennebula-sunstone.service entered failed state.
mar 16 14:00:46 opennebula01 systemd[1]: opennebula-sunstone.service failed.

Anyone nows what could be the problem?

Thanks!

P.

hey did you resolve this issue ? i’m stuck