Onehost create halts on init - 4.12 Ubuntu 16.04

When I create a host with Sunstone or using the command line the host halts always on the INIT state

I have followed the installation steps but I have realised that the NFS service is mounting
the /var/lib/one folder with libvirt-dnsmap and the owner and libvirt as the group

Also in the host The uid and the gid are different from the frontend but reading the manual on the section regarding the Unix accounts I can read “This step can be skipped if you have installed the node/common packages fro CentOs / Ubuntu”

What am I missing? No error messages in the log related to the host creation

Kind regards

OpenNebula 4.12 on Ubuntu 16.04

Hi @jperjim398 ,

if you don’t have any specific requirements, it’s always better to take the latest stable version (4.12 is 2 years old, we are now on 5.4 Front-end Installation — OpenNebula 5.4.15 documentation). Also, the OpenNebula 4.12 didn’t support Ubuntu 16.10 yet.

If you are trying to configure a cluster with shared datastore via NFS, it’s recommended to mount it only for the datastore directories /var/lib/one/datastores/ only (Filesystem Datastore — OpenNebula 5.4.15 documentation), not the whole /var/lib/one/. NFSv3 and NFSv4 (with sec=sys) also require the oneadmin’s UIDs to be same on the frontend and all nodes.

Also in the host The uid and the gid are different from the frontend but reading the manual on the section regarding the Unix accounts I can read “This step can be skipped if you have installed the node/common packages fro CentOs / Ubuntu”

Packages need to be installed not only on the frontend but some also on the KVM nodes. oneadmin user is created during the packages install with a fixed UID.

So, in your case, you have mixed UIDs for the oneadmin user and shared whole user’s home and not just only the datastores. Most likely the hosts are stuck in INIT phase as the frontend isn’t able to SSH without password on the particular node to transfer scripts and do the monitoring (KVM Node Installation — OpenNebula 5.4.15 documentation).

Best regards,
Vlastimil Holer

Thanks, it was the user oneadmin uid and gid. It’s solved now. It was created on the hosts but with different uid/gid.

We are using 4.12 because it’s the version included in Ubuntu 16.04 but we are already planning to go to the next versions.

Kind regards