Using OpenNebula + Apache Guacamole for VDI at the Edge

In this post + screencast we are going to show how to leverage OpenNebula’s edge computing features to easily setup a fully open source, pay-as-you-go Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) at the edge using on-demand bare-metal resources from providers like Packet or AWS.

The automatic provisioning of dedicated Virtual Desktops at the edge can be especially useful when there is an urgent need for a company to respond to an unexpected WFH demand—like the one created by the current COVID-19 crisis.

Hope you’ll find this integration with Apache Guacamole interesting! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hi! Where can I find further documentation on how to configure Guacamole with OnenNebula?

Sunstone consumes Guacamole functionality through FireEdge.

In order to configure Sunstone to use FireEdge , please read the Sunstone configuration guide

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Tino!
I did check there and, as far as I can see, FireEdge and Guacd are running and connected.
However, it seams that the package does not includes Ghacamole’s web interface. Shoud I connect it to Opennebula provided guacad insted of the one I installed with Guacamole’s docker install?
Regards,
Marcus Richa

@tinova please provide documentation to setup guacamole as shown in the video.

correct, you should connect to OpenNebula Sunstone to access guacd functionality integrated in the web UI

You need to install both Sunstone and FireEdge, and configure Sunstone as per the link provided above, in particular:

:private_fireedge_endpoint Base URL (hostname/IP-based) where the FireEdge server is running. This endpoint must be reachable by Sunstone server. (Default: http://localhost:2616)
:public_fireedge_endpoint Base URL (hostname/IP-based) where the FireEdge server is running. This endpoint must be reachable by end-users! (Default: http://localhost:2616)

@tinova Our requirement is to run a dedicated guacamole server where any vm that gets created in opennebula should be automatically reflected in that dedicated guacamole web interface, same as demonstrated in above video(VDI as a service).

Opennebula has replied to the comment on the video about publishing the full guide. Please update on this.