Showback does not show output for users in admin view

Hello Guys,

Version - 4.12 on Ubuntu 14.04

I have logged in as oneadmin in Sunstone and tried the feature showback, User (Kiran) is running Ubuntu server and when select “filter by group USER” and click “Get Showback” It does not give any output (Screenshot attached), However in “oneshowback list” output the user is listed. If I login with the user Kiran and hit showback I get the output.

Also we need to run command oneshowback calculate to calculate the output, It would be better to add a Calculate Button to Sunstone Admin View.

oneshowback list # Showback for 3/2015

USER_NAME GROUP_NAME VM_ID VM_NAME MONTH YEAR HOURS COST
oneadmin oneadmin 0 Test 3 2015 0.00 0
oneadmin oneadmin 111 CentOS 6.5 3 2015 0.32 0
oneadmin oneadmin 112 CentOS 7 3 2015 0.82 0
oneadmin oneadmin 113 Windows 2008 3 2015 0.75 0
oneadmin oneadmin 114 Ubuntu Serve 3 2015 0.35 0
kiran users 115 Server 01 3 2015 168.51 3443.77

Regards
Kiran Ranjane

Hi,

That screenshot is from the settings dialog. From there you can query your current user’s showback records, filtering by group. If you are logged in as oneadmin, you are requesting the showback records of VMs owned by oneadmin and in the users group; not all VMs from the users group.

You must go instead to the Groups or Users tab, and enter the individual Group/User view. In there you will see the showback records.

Regards

Thanks Carlos, Also would like to know if a Calculate button will be added in future to admin view instead of executing oneshowback calculate from command line.

– Is there a way we can define cost per month or cost per flavor?

Regards
Kiran Ranjane

Hi,

It was designed to be executed in a cron job monthly, daily, or hourly. But anyway, please open a feature request at our dev portal.

No. Maybe in the future we will add more options, but for now the cost is only cpu/mem per hour. There are many variations we could add to it: different cost per month, per day of the week, depending on the host or DS the VM is running on… But that would introduce too much complexity.

I assume by flavor you mean the instance types in the cloud view. This is already supported, because the cost is defined by cpu cores and memory MB. If a user resizes the VM capacity, the cost is also affected.

Regards

Hi Carlos,

It was designed to be executed in a cron job monthly, daily, or hourly.

Cron Job should do the trick.

No. Maybe in the future we will add more options, but for now the cost is only cpu/mem per hour. There are many variations we could add to it: different cost per month, per day of the week, depending on the host or DS the VM is running on… But that would introduce too much complexity.

I assume by flavor you mean the instance types in the cloud view. This is already supported, because the cost is defined by cpu cores and memory MB. If a user resizes the VM capacity, the cost is also affected.

CPU per Hour seems to be a feasible way for billing, However for memory cost per MB per Hour seems to give a very high billing cost and does not seems to be a feasible way for billing memory usage.

It should also have per GB per Hour. I did a small calculation and it seems that MB is useful for only instance which have memory below 1 GB, but above that it gives a very high cost if you calculate it on monthly basis.

Here’s a small calculation for a 2 GB memory instance (CPU not included).

(Memory)MB ||| Cost/MB/Hour ||| Total Hours in month
2048 ||| 0.0001 ||| 730 Hours

2048 x 0.0001 = 0.2048

0.2048 x 730 hours = 149 which should be in dollar or euros.

Other best option would be a bundle option that would include everything CPU, transfer, storage, and RAM bundled into one simple cost per instance type or cost per instance per hour. So no need for different cost per month, per day of the week, depending on the host or DS the VM is running on because everything can be included in this as one cost and this also keep things simple. This will also give the ability to define different cost for each instance type. Just like below screenshot -

I think most of the users would love to see this feature in showback.

Regards
Kiran Ranjane

Hi,

I don’t really follow you here. Why don’t you set a lower cost per hour? 0.000001 will give you a total of 1.49 per month…

Although it’s true that Sunstone could allow you to set the cost by GB and translate it to MB before submitting it. That’s what we do with the memory definition slider. Another thing that would be helpful is a preview of the montly cost in the creation wizard. I’ll open a ticket to implement this.

That was the initial idea, to set the cost for each instance type. But because of the way the instance types are implemented, that would mean that end users could set any cost if they have access to other interfaces (like the CLI).

The exact example of your screenshot can be done in OpenNebula with a cpu_cost of 0, and a memory_cost of 0.015 / 1024 = 0.00014648437

I can see scenarios where our current model will not suffice. For example, if you want your 2 CPU instances to cost more than double of the 1 CPU instance cost. But for the first version we chose to focus on one use case.

But we will take note of your feedback for future showback improvements.

Cheers

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for looking into this, We are actually trying to integrate ONE billing with a cloud based accounts and billing solution which is “http://www.freshbooks.com

And Thanks for taking my feedback in positive way. :smile:

Regards
Kiran Ranjane

Let us know how the integration goes!
That sounds like a good candidate for an addon project.

Cheers

Sure, will let you know if the integration is successful.

Regards
Kiran Ranjane